Such a small word with great impact. Leaders come in all varieties. There are leaders who have power and influence because of who they are or what they know. Some leaders who have power due to their position. There are leaders who don’t even know they are leaders, or don’t believe they are leaders.
The one truth to all leadership positions is that when you are a leader, you should constantly be learning.
There is that saying that leaders are readers.
At the heart of that statement, it is that leaders should not be ok with the status quo. They should want to do better for themselves, their team, and their organization.
What can that look like? Here are 5 simple ways (amongst many ways) you can become a better leader.
1. Work on communicating effectively. Make sure you are communicating in a way that they understand and develop feedback channels so everyone is on the same page.
2. Have the courage to try the new, out of the box thing. If a team member comes to you with an idea, and its solid, give it a try. It may be the next breakthrough for your organization.
3. Show empathy and that you are human. People are experiencing a lot these days. Don’t always make it about business.
4. Discover your strengths and lead your team members to discover theirs. This simple act, when done correctly, can make a huge impact on everyone.
5. Show you are a person of integrity. Do what you say and say what you do. Be transparent and honest. This is one of the biggest areas missing in leadership. If your employees feel like you are hiding something, distrust becomes part of the culture.
Decide you want to be a better leader every day, and make a plan to work on it. A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Leading in today’s volatile world can be difficult. If your team knows you have their best interest at heart, they trust you, and you have proven results, leading them becomes that much easier.
I empower business leaders, creatives, and entrepreneurs to develop their leadership skills, develop workflows that are beneficial for them, and to create work-life integration so they live a life they love. Set up a free 30 minute consult if you are ready to up your leadership game. Click Here.
If you are a leader or emerging leader who wants to lead with meaning and purpose, then let’s connect. Join me at the Emerging Leaders Network (a community on Facebook) community designed for leaders to collaborate on best practices and discuss issues to become great leaders.
Stephanie German is a business strategist, author, and adjunct professor. She holds a master’s degree in organizational leadership and loves giving back to her community in a variety of ways. When she’s not coaching clients or writing about leadership, Stephanie is usually headed to the mountains or the beach with her family, drinking savory wine, or working on the latest project with her husband. Stephanie’s greatest desires are to raise up the next generation of leaders while raising her own children to be strong, independent, and brave. She lives in Fresno, California with her husband Blake and her three spunky daughters, Cara, Kinsey, and Peyton. She is the best-selling author of So Your Boss Can’t Lead?