Most people don’t understand their core values. Or they understand and communicate some of their values but not the depths of their core values. One of the most important parts of leadership hinges on knowing them. Everything you do in life comes out of your values.
Core values are the fundamental beliefs that guide or motivate attitudes and actions.
It is important to know your core values because your values determine your leadership style.
It determines your leadership style because your values guide every decision you make. As a leader, you have many decisions to make. These decisions do not only impact you, but your staff and organization.
Here are 7 reasons why knowing your core values matter.
1. Decisions can be made faster, easier, and with greater confidence when you know your core values.
2. When you know your core values, they strengthen your ability to influence. You know what you stand for and people are drawn to that.
3. Knowing your values give you greater clarity. Clarity helps you focus and in the end, be more productive.
4. Values guide your actions.
5. When you have a lack of awareness of your core values, it leads to inconsistencies that cause confusion for those you lead.
6. When you know your core values, you know what you will and won’t do before you are presented with an opportunity. If it doesn’t align with your core values, it is an easy no.
7. When you live in your core values, you are more fulfilled in your daily life.
In the end, values equal action.
Do you know your core values? If you have never sat down and written them out, then there is no better time than the present. Get a piece of paper out and get to work. Not sure where to start? I help individuals discover what is most important to them, so they can live fulfilled lives. Let’s connect.
I empower creatives, business leaders, and entrepreneurs to develop their leadership skills, develop workflows that are beneficial for them, and to create work-life integration so they live a life they love. Set up a free 30 minute consult if you are ready to up your leadership game. Click Here.
If you are a leader or emerging leader who wants to lead with meaning and purpose, then let’s connect. Join me at the Emerging Leaders Network (a group on Facebook) community designed for leaders to collaborate on best practices and discuss issues to become great leaders.
Stephanie German is a leadership coach and consultant, author, and adjunct professor. She holds a master’s degree in organizational leadership and loves giving back to her community in a variety of ways. When she’s not coaching clients or writing about leadership, Stephanie is usually headed to the mountains or the beach with her family, drinking savory wine, or working on the latest project with her husband. Stephanie’s greatest desires are to raise up the next generation of leaders while raising her own children to be strong, independent, and brave. She lives in Fresno, California with her husband Blake and her three spunky daughters, Cara, Kinsey, and Peyton. She is the best-selling author of So Your Boss Can’t Lead?